Monday, August 11, 2008

Artistic Training

Spending the day training a fellow employee on a film scanner. Film scanners unlike document scanner are on the artistic side. It's like scanning a photograph. You have to be able to make adjustments as you see the scans, for each roll of film is unique.  Microfilm is a photographic process and a lot of people forget that. So for training you can "try" to cover everything that "might" need to be done, but the best training is to sit with the new scanner operator and as issues come up help them to learn the how's and whys that correct the issues. in other words, it makes for a boring day. Sitting and waiting for problems to correct. If I was in my office I could be working on other things, but I am on locate hours from home, and feel like I am spinning my wheels and not really accomplishing anything.  But I know that this training will allow me to get back to the office and have the trainee take over what I am doing. It's a slow process, but needed so that I can move on to the next project.

Then again it could be that I really hate Mondays!

No comments: